Centre for Blood Research
University of British Columbia
2350 Health Sciences Mall
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Lab: #4.420; Bench 10
Phone: +1-604-822-3561 (lab)
Email: nestor.solis (a) ubc.ca
I am interested in utilizing mass spectrometry-based proteomic methodologies to identify and quantify substrates of MMP12. Mass spectrometry has enabled the identification and quantification of peptides and proteins at a global scale in biological samples. The emergence of ‘degradomics’ has now allowed the examination of protease substrates and their inhibitors in an unbiased high throughput way. I employ N-terminomics to profile the proteolytic processing patterns of MMP12 and its effect in different pathological processes. Understanding the effects of protease webs and proteolytic processing can provide new avenues for drug design and treatments for pathologies such as cancer and arthritis.
- Solis, N., Cain, J.A., Cordwell, S.J. (2016) Comparative analysis of Staphylococcus epidermidis strains utilising quantitative and cell surface shaving proteomics, Journal of Proteomics, 190-199.
- Huesgen, P.F., Lange, P.F., Rogers, L.D., Solis, N., Eckhard, U., Kleifeld, O., Goulas, T., Gomis-Ruth, F.X., Overall, C.M. (2015) LysargiNase mirrors trypsin for protein C-terminal and methylation-site identification, Nature Methods, 12, 55-58.
- Solis, N., Parker, B.L., Kwong, S.M., Robinson, G., Firth, N., Cordwell, S.J. (2014) Staphylococcus aureus surface proteins involved in adaptation to oxacillin identified using a novel cell shaving approach, Journal of Proteome Research, doi: 10.1021/pr500107p
- Scott, N.E., Marzook, N.B., Cain, J.A., Solis, N., Thaysen-Andersen, M., Djordjevic, S.P., Packer, N.H., Larsen, M.R., Cordwell, S.J. (2014) Comparative proteomics and glycoproteomics reveal increased N-linked glycosylation and relaxed sequon specificity in Campylobacter jejuni NCTC111168 O, Journal of Proteome Research, 13, 5136-5150.
- Cain, J.A., Solis, N., Cordwell, S.J. (2014) Beyond gene expression: The impact of post-translational modifications, Journal of Proteomics, 97, 265-286.
- Parker, B.L., Thaysen-Andersen, M., Solis, N., Scott, N.E., Larsen, M.R., Graham, M., Packer, N., Cordwell, S.J. (2013) Site-specific glycan-peptide analysis for determination of N-glycoproteome heterogeneity, Journal of Proteome Research, 12, 5791-5800.
- Paulech, J., Solis, N., Edwards, A.V., Puckeridge, M., White, M.Y., Cordwell, S.J. (2013) Large-scale capture of peptides containing reversibly oxidized cysteines by thiol-disulfide exchange applied to the myocardial redox proteome, Analytical Chemistry, 85, 3774-3780.
- Paulech, J., Solis, N. and Cordwell, S.J. (2013) Characterization of reaction conditions providing rapid and specific cysteine alkylation for peptide-based mass spectrometry, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – Proteins and Proteomics, 1834, 372-379.
- Cordwell, S.J., Edwards, A.V.G., Liddy, K.A., Moshkanbaryans, L., Solis, N., Parker, B.L., Yong, A.S.C., Wong, C., Kritharides, L., Hambly, B.D., White, M.Y. (2012) Release of tissue-specific proteins into coronary perfusate as a model for biomarker discovery in myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury, Journal of Proteome Research, 11, 2114-2126.
- Hare, N. J., Solis, N., Harmer, C., Marzook, N. B., Rose, B., Harbour, C., Crossett, B., Manos, J., Cordwell, S. J. (2012) Proteomic profiling of Pseudomonas aeruginosa AES-1R, PAO1 and PA14 reveals potential virulence determinants associated with a transmissible cystic fibrosis-associated strain, BMC Microbiology, 12:16.
- Solis, N., and Cordwell, S.J. (2011) Current techniques and methodologies for the study of cell envelope proteomics in bacteria, Proteomics, 11, 3169-3189.
- Solis, N., Larsen, M.R., and Cordwell, S.J. (2010) Improved accuracy of cell surface shaving proteomics in Staphylococcus aureus using a false-positive control, Proteomics, 10, 2037-2049.
Books and Chapters
- Solis, N. and Overall, C.M. (2016) Mass spectrometry-based methods for studying the degradome, Encyclopedia of Cell Biology, Volume 1: Molecular Cell Biology, Pages 568-581.
- Solis, N. and Overall, C.M. (2016) Transitioning from Edman sequencing to carboxyl and amino terminal orientated mass spectrometry (ATOMS) terminal sequencing of proteins, Analytical Characterization of Biotherapeutics, in press.
- Solis, N. and Cordwell, S.J. (2016) Cell shaving and false positive control strategies coupled to novel statistical tools to profile Gram positive bacterial surface proteomes, Methods in Molecular Biology, in press.
- Nestor Solis & Stuart J. Cordwell (2011). Surface proteomics of Staphylococcus aureus employing cell shaving and hypergeometric and Bayesian models (Syntrophy, Volume 12, Issue 5, 2011; pdf).
- Nestor Solis & Stuart J. Cordwell (2009). Identification of surface-exposed proteins from Staphylococcus aureus by cell ‘shaving’ proteomics (Syntrophy, Volume 10, Issue 1; pdf).