Post-doctoral fellow (2013-2016)
Centre for Blood Research
University of British Columbia
2350 Health Sciences Mall
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Lab: #4.420; Bench 5
Phone: +1-604-822-3561 (lab)
- 2006 – 2009: PhD Biology, University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy
- 2003 – 2005: M.Sc. Biotechnology for Industry and for Environment,University of Milano, Italy
- 2000 – 2003: B.Sc. Industrial and Environmental Biotechnology, University of Milano, Italy
- 2009 – 2012: Postdoctoral fellow, Laboratory of Prof Christiane Funk and Prof Wolfgang Schröder, University of Umeå, Sweden
- 2011: Postdoctoral visiting fellow, Laboratory of Prof Chris Overall, Vancouver, University of British Columbia, Canada
- 2006: Research Assistant at University of Milano-Bicocca with Prof Sandra Citterio, University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy
- 2010 – 2012: Postdoctoral fellowship (Lawski Foundation, Sweden)
- 2011: Travel fellowship (Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, Sweden)
- 2009 – 2010: Postdoctoral fellowship (Carl Tryggers Foundation, Sweden)
- 2006 – 2009: Doctoral fellowship (University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy)
- 2006: Research Assistant Fellowship (University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy)
The focus of my project is to elucidate the involvement of MMPs in modulating and regulating the innate immunity in vivo. By using our N-terminomic technique called TAILS (Terminal Amine Isotopic Labeling of Substrates) we want to identify and characterize new regulatory points in the complement cascade and investigate the roles of specific MMPs in enhancing or terminating the complement activity. The newly identified regulatory points will suggest new drug targets to modulate the immune system in order to prevent and treat inflammatory infectious and autoimmune diseases. In addition, proteolytic signatures and stable cleaved peptides identified by our approach could be valuable biomarker-candidates for early detection of complement perturbations and monitoring of response to therapy.
- Eckhard U, Marino G, Butler GS, Overall CM (2016) Positional proteomics in the era of the human proteome project on the doorstep of precision medicine. Biochimie 12 110-118.
- Eckhard U, Huesgen PF, Schilling O, Bellac CL, Butler GS, Cox JH, Dufour A, Goebeler V, Kappelhoff R, Keller UA, Klein T, Lange PF, Marino G, Morrison CJ, Prudova A, Rodriguez D, Starr AE, Wang Y, Overall CM (2016) Active site specificity profiling datasets of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13 and 14 . Data Brief 7 299–310.
- Eckhard U, Marino G, Abbey SR, Matthew I, Overall CM (2015) TAILS N-terminomic and proteomic datasets of healthy human dental pulp. Data Brief 16 542-548.
- Eckhard U, Huesgen PF, Schilling O, Bellac CL, Butler GS, Cox JH, Dufour A, Goebeler V, Kappelhoff R, Keller UA, Klein T, Lange PF, Marino G, Morrison CJ, Prudova A, Rodriguez D, Starr AE, Wang Y, Overall CM (2016) Active site specificity profiling of the matrix metalloproteinase family: Proteomic identification of 4300 cleavage sites by nine MMPs explored with structural and synthetic peptide cleavage analyses. Matrix Biology 49 37-60.
- Eckhard U, Marino G, Abbey SR, Tharmarajah G, Matthew I, Overall CM (2015) The Human Dental Pulp Proteome and N-Terminome: Levering the Unexplored Potential of Semitryptic Peptides Enriched by TAILS to Identify Missing Proteins in the Human Proteome Project in Underexplored Tissues. J Proteome Res. 14 3568-82.
- Marino G, Eckhard U, Overall CM. (2015) Protein Termini and Their Modifications Revealed by Positional Proteomics. ACS Chem Biol. 10 1754-64.
- Marino G, Huesgen PF, Eckhard U, Overall CM, Schröder WP, and Funk C (2014) Family-wide characterization of matrix metallo-proteinases from Arabidopsis thaliana reveals their distinct proteolytic activity and cleavage site specificity. Biochemical Journal 457 335-346.
- Marino G and Funk C (2012) Matrix metalloproteinases in plants: a brief overview Physiologia Plantarum. Special Issue: Plant Proteases 145 196-202.
- Galla G*, Zenoni S*, Marconi G*, Marino G*, Botton A, Pinosa F, Citterio S, Ruperti B, Palme K, Albertini E, Pezzotti M, Mau M, Sharbel TF, De Storme N, Geelen D, Barcaccia G (2011) Sporophytic and gametophytic functions of the cell cycle-associated Mob1 gene in Arabidopsis thaliana L. Gene 4841-12. (*equal authorship)
- Airoldi CA, Della Rovere F, Falasca G, Marino G, Kooiker M, Altamura MM , Citterio S, and Kater MM (2010) The Arabidopsis BET bromodomain factor GTE4 is involved in the maintenance of the mitotic cell cycle during plant development. Plant Physiology 152 1320-34.
- Fornara V, Onelli E, Sparvoli F, Aina R, Marino G, and Citterio S (2008) Stilbene synthase is mainly localized in exocarp cell walls during grape berry development. Protoplasma 233 83-93.Vitulo N, Vezzi A, Galla G, Citterio S, Marino G, Ruperti B, Zermiani M, Albertini E, Valle G, and Barcaccia G (2007) Characterization and Evolution of the Cell Cycle-Associated Mob Domain-Containing Proteins in Eukaryotes. Evolutionary Bioinformatics 3 121–158 .